In response to advances in technology and the changing needs of the community, Anderson County Libraries inform, educate, culturally enrich and entertain the citizens of Anderson County, Tennessee. It is within this context that the Anderson County Libraries offer free access to the Internet. Internet access is available during the Library’s regular hours of operation. Periodic maintenance or technical difficulties may arise that may cause computer access to be temporarily unavailable.
The accuracy or availability of the information from the web cannot be guaranteed and the Anderson County Libraries cannot be held responsible for the validity of the information gained or the suitability of material that may be encountered.
In compliance with the Children’s Internet Protection Act and Tennessee Code Annotated 39-17-911, the Anderson County Libraries have installed and enforced the operation of filtering software that attempts to limit the incidence of chance encounters with inappropriate websites. No filtering software is 100% effective.
Library staff will provide help on basic computer use as time permits, but will not provide extensive personal, in-depth training or instruction. Library staff may not be available for computer help at all times.
Library staff will respect the patron’s confidentiality. However, since computer screens are visible to others, the library cannot guarantee privacy or confidentiality. Some material is inappropriate for display in a public setting. Library staff reserves the right to monitor the use of computer workstations to ensure compliance with this policy.
COMPUTER USE AGREEMENT
It is the responsibility of the patron to read, understand, and accept the Internet Access Policy for using the library’s computers by signing the Computer Use Agreement form or by agreeing to the policy as prompted on the screen when logging in.
Adults may need to show a valid driver’s license or valid library card and sign the Computer Use Agreement to access Library computers. Patrons must use their own identification for computer access.
Minors (children or students under eighteen (18) years of age) must have a parent or legal guardian present to read and sign the Computer Use Agreement (to access Library computers) at all Anderson County Libraries. Parents of minors must assume responsibility for their children’s use of or exposure to content accessed on the Library’s computers.
The computers are available for patron use on a first come, first serve basis.
The patron agrees to limit his or her session to thirty (30) minutes if other patrons are waiting. There is a one (1) hour maximum use per day which may be extended at the discretion of the library director. Use of equipment must be completed within 15 minutes of closing time and Library staff reserve the right to shut down any computers after this time. Reservations for computer use are not permitted.
While using the Library’s computers, the patron is not permitted to:
• Install software or hardware; alter the computer’s configuration; install or
• download information onto the hard drive
• Apply unnecessary force to the computer or its parts
• Alter software configuration on the desktop
• Use the Library computer for illegal or criminal purposes
While accessing the internet, the patron is not permitted to:
- View sites that are inappropriate for display in a public setting.
- Attempt access to the Library’s network system
- Use the internet for illegal or criminal purposes
- Violate copyright or software licensing agreements; attempt to gain unauthorized access toother computers or computer systems; or in any other way which violates other applicable law
- Attempt to change, circumvent, disable or otherwise defeat the correct operation of the filtering software
- Display any material which is harmful to minors pursuant to Tennessee Code Annotated 39-17-911 For your protection and safety it is recommended that you avoid disclosing personal information over the Internet. Library Internet users are prohibited by law from disclosing, using, or disseminating personal information regarding minors without written authorization of the parent or legal guardian of said minors. Internet users are prohibited from using the library computers to compromise the safety and security of minors when using email, chat room, and other forms of direct electronic communication.
WIRELESS INTERNET ACCESS
Wireless internet access is available to the community using personal technology devices. Users must comply with the Library policies for Internet Access. The wireless connection is unencrypted; use of the wireless connection is done at the patron’s own risk. Neither the library nor the library staff is responsible for any damage to patrons’ personal devices.
Failure to comply with the Library’s Computer Use Policy and other Library restrictions and rules may result in loss of computer use privileges. Illegal acts involving Library computing resources may also be subject to prosecution by local, state, or federal authorities.
Material may be printed at the cost of 20 cents per page rate. Material may also be downloaded onto CD’s and/or USB flash drives if provided by the patron.
The Library reserves the right to update and change this policy at any time without notice. The above stated policy and procedures have been approved by the Anderson County Library Board.
Anderson County Library Board – (Revised March 20, 2014)
Finalized/Approved April 17, 2014